"What I have learned from Jiu-Jitsu, is that in order to be successful, you must deal with the hardships of failure. Only then, can you learn how to win." - JT Torres
Yesterday, I gave my first attempt on the mats, no gi (I have to wait for the gi to come in the mail)....
HOLY HUMBLING WORKOUT. As I stated before, I have been boxing for ten years now. I began in South Korea in 2008.
I have run marathons, competed in triathlons, done Spartan races, trained with elite athletes, and have been pushed SO MANY times to the point of tears of frustration. I have climbed ropes and learned out to lift heavy weights and run while dragging a grown man behind me on a sled... With all that being said, I never thought the experience I had in Jiu-Jitsu would be THIS exhausting!!
I went last night, and today, I have muscles SCREAMING at me that I did not even know existed.
I walked into UFC Gym, a gym I have belonged to for years. I looked at Alex and instantly my heart started racing and my palms became sweaty. I told him, "Alex, I don't think I am ready, I think I am just going to go box." He calmly and simply stated "no".
At this time I gave myself an eternal "pep-talk" and reminded myself that I am committing my Genius Hour and this is the moment I need to just throw myself in.
The majority of the class, is warm up drills, and then practice with partners, and only at the very end do we "live roll" on the mats. Live rolls only last about 15 minutes, which you would think is nothing, but when you are putting your entire body and energy into defending yourself and/or attempting to tap someone out, you would be AMAZED by the amount of strength and energy it takes.
I could bore my readers with a step-by-step play and rattle on, but I will spare you the details (thank you for even making it this far). I tried, and it was incredibly hard. I haven't felt insecure about a sport in a long time, and this DEFINITELY humbled me.
Some of the basic moves I learned were:
* Shrimping
* Gripping
* Escaping Side Mount
* Scissor Sweep
* Straight Armbar
All-in-all, I was able to defend myself, but certainly had more "taps" than successes... We shall see what the next roll on the mat brings me. FINGERS CROSSED (seriously).
Click here to see how to get into the arm bar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8
The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017. As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...
-
Artifact 1: Linoit.com http://linoit.com/users/sheiladaly/canvases/Collaborative%20Assignment In the beginning of the course we were...
-
Overall I appreciated this course very much! I liked having to be pushed outside my comfort zone and create a classroom story (via video...
-
Purpose: The purpose of Genius Hour was to allow students an opportunity to explore their own self interests that was not dictated by cu...



This is incredibly awesome Sheila! I admire your perseverance, getting in the ring when you really didn't want to is impressive. Also, I hope I don't run into you in any dark alleys in town!
ReplyDeleteHahaha, I am not aggressive by nature. Except maybe driving home from work lol
Delete