For this particular Genius Hour, I would like to learn more about local politics. It has always been something that I am interested in but have not had the initiative to explore other avenues, or necessarily the time to commit to understanding my own local politics deeper. I think it is my civic duty to be knowledgeable in politics, nationally and globally. However, it is also important to understand how the villages and towns we live in operate as well. I believe often time because so many adults have hectic and busy lives, there is not enough of time to dedicate to personal interest or passions.
I plan is to first find out who my local elected officials are and when village meetings are conducted. What topics does my village have interest in? What are my neighbors concerned about? What are my neighbors angry about? Why are they angry? Are they pleased with our current officials?
The village I live in is a relatively small community, with plenty of opportunity to vent on social media platforms. I just have not seen a very politically active side in my town, and would like to know why and/or understand more.
I brainstormed some ideas and what I needed to do to begin my research. I have attached a few notes wrote that helped me organize my thoughts and get my research started.
Sheila,
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy your posts. You are a very interesting woman with deep thought and a fierce passion for getting things done. Politics had never been interesting to me. I feel too much goes on behind the scenes and we never get the truth. I guess that comes from living in the city most of my life. However, as I get older, I do feel it is important to be informed and know what my representatives are supporting or not supporting! Good luck on your research!
Politics has long been an interest for me as well. I even thought about taking classes in politics and organized crime) because the layers in politics confuse me. I can't wait to learn through your learning!!
ReplyDeletePolitics in smaller towns interests me as well. I found myself thinking about living in a small town growing up and how I saw politics. In my town, we had the same mayor until he died then we had one of the trustees come in as mayor until she decided she no longer wanted the position. I am 31, and just recently did the town get someone new into the office of mayor. For close to 30 years, nothing in the town seemed to change and everyone was at a standstill whether they liked it or not. No one ever ran against the mayor and life stayed the same. I enjoy watching the changes now, even if it does not have a direct impact on my life.
ReplyDelete