EEND 667 Artifact 2: Create a Screencast
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment was to create a video that could help enhance student learning in the classroom and/or experience a sense of what a Flipped Classroom is. Screencasts also help students listen to the lesson at their own pace, and/or pause and rewind as needed. I have found this to be extremely beneficial for my ELL students who often need you to repeat directions because they did not catch it the first time. This eases their anxiety of asking you to repeat yourself because they have unlimited access to the lesson and can replay the steps over and over. I asked the handful of students I had use the video if it helped, and they were extremely happy they had access to the lesson and requested I make more videos that could help them in the future.
Challenges: Some of the challenges I faced with this assignment was finding a website that the our district did not have blocked. Also finding ways to upload the finished product to share with teachers and students. I used Screencastomatic.com and found it extremely user friendly and basic, however, I appeared to run into issues with uploading it to Youtube.com. After numerous attempts, I just decided to share the video by using the embedded link.
How it was Used in the Classroom: I utilized this screencast with my students that were struggling with remembering the steps to take when adding or subtracting mixed numbers. I gave my entire class access to the five minute video and told them to use it as needed. What I noticed was that my ELL students really utilized it to their benefit. I also saw them display understanding by completing their next set of problems accurately. Not to mention them telling me they found it helpful and useful made me smile :-) Maybe, as I continue to utilize this program, I can start launching it with students, and they can record themselves solving problems to display their understanding and/or confusion.
Reflection and Growth: This is definitely a program I see myself utilizing more often. Especially because it does not take very long to put together a video, and the program is extremely user friendly. Additionally, knowing, and seeing how it has helped a handful of my students feel less anxious about lessons really motivates me to use this more in the classroom.
Hi Sheila,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the assignment of screencast. I think that screencasting has so much potential. You mentioned a few ELL students, Flipped Classroom, sending your students instruction. But there is so much more that you can do with it. You also mentioned that you could see lesson at your own pace, pause. Etc.
PS. Good luck in your next Class.
PS. Come back to us!
Delete