"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price" - Sun Tzu
I have been attempting both gi and no gi in jiu jitsu these past few weeks. One would think that natural evolution would occur and that I would become better at the sport... and while yes, I have... Not to the speed I had anticipated.
I have been able to submit mildly more than I did a few weeks ago but I am still tapping out more than I am able to tap others out. It has been frustrating to say the least. Especially because athletically, I haven't really had many challenges (unless it is swimming lol). I have showed up not training a day, and run a marathon in 4.5 hours. I have done 13 mile mud runs without training for it either. I am a firm believer that the largest challenge is in your head, and no matter how in shape or out of shape I am, my mental prowess always prevails.
Jiu Jitsu has been humbling to say the least, but humbling in a good way. While I have "gotten better", I am a far cry from being anything close to proficient in the sport. My coaches have been nothing but encouraging and remind me that it takes YEARS to truly master the sport.
Regardless to my current trials and tribulations, it has definitely been a journey worth embracing, and if I ever have children, especially a daughter, I am having her start BJJ as soon as she can walk. Her mother may not have it in her to master the sport, but my daughter sure will... and it will make me more comfortable about her safety if I know she can tap someone out in 15 seconds!




Wow! What an empowering project! Nothing like KNOWING you have the physical ability to defend yourself. I have always found that knowing that carries over to assertive behavior in all areas of life. Next time we are at Michael Anthony's I'm going to have you walk me to my car:)
ReplyDeleteThat is some real jiu jitsu right there. One of the things that is tricky about jiu jitsu is finding that sweet spot between aggression and safety. The collar chokes tend to be a little safer but I definitely prefer no gi. Those photos are very cool. Do you learn best from watching other people roll or from learning them in a class?
ReplyDeleteEven though you don't have children now, it's good to know that you are concerned about their safety. Most importantly, it seems that they will also learn many other life skills as well!!
ReplyDelete