Saturday, November 24, 2018

EEND 713 Genius Hour - Module 7

Workouts before rolling on the mat

Above is a link that shows you the other type of exercise you are required to do when warming up and getting ready to roll on the mats.  Which is where I am headed in about 30 minutes.  I wish I made the workouts look as glamorous and motivational as the chick in the video does.  I am more like a sweaty, grunting, dying, sloth trying to make it through 60 minutes of torture.

Through this process, I haven't really become any stronger than I am today.  Most likely because I have been conditioning for boxing for the past ten years, and unless I aim to start lifting weights... there won't be much change in my strength.  HOWEVER, what I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that my flexibility and agility have definitely increased.  Before, I could barely touch my toes.  I am one of those "athletes" that shows up, works out, does their thing, and then leaves without stretching. 
In BJJ you need to stretch, and even if you do not, half of the warm ups force you to stretch, and then when grappling on the mat you are DEFINITELY forced to stretch your body in ways you aren't always used to.

This has been such a wonderful experience thus far.  My coach wants me to join the camp, that will inevitably train me for competitions.  I am not sure I am quite there yet, and even if I was, I don't have the time to commit to the sport right now.  Not enough that I'd need if I was entering a comp, and I won't enter a competition unless I know there is a good chance I will win.  I don't need to win, but I need to know that I am prepared enough...and currently, I most certainly am not.  Stay tuned friends, as time unravels, and I am gifted the opportunity, I will move forward...but that is until further notice :)

1 comment:

  1. I went back and read some of your past posts and am impressed with all the hard work and dedication you put into learning a new sport. Your posts taught me a lot too. Good luck in the future with it!

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...