Sunday, November 4, 2018

EEND 713 Genius Hour - Module 5

Well, the gi came in the mail the other day.  Holy moly those things are expensive! Thank goodness my coach is sponsored by so many different MMA and UFC academies, that he gets promotional codes and discounts on our gis. He saved us all $25!

Not to mention it is like wearing a furnace when you are working out. Just standing and doing nothing I sweat.

The warm ups and drills in gi, are just as brutal as the warm ups and drills in no-gi Jiu Jitsu (JJ). The difference are the rules in no gi vs gi JJ.  With a gi on, you are able to grab your opponents clothing and use that to choke them out or get them in submission or tap out.  It is actually more complicated than it sounds because if you do not have grip or forearm strength it is pretty difficult to hold onto the gi tight enough.

I am not very good at JJ, but that is to be expected, as it take decades to perfect... if ever.
However, I have gotten better. I had my first submission, and I was able to block a girl from getting me into her guard and prevent her from mounting (aka I win).  That was only two blips on the radar though, the remaining time I was definitely the one submitted and tapping out lol.   I also recognized I tap out much sooner than I should because of year I will get injured.

I already had a broken rib and black eye this summer from boxing, I am not ready for another injury that makes me sit out of exercise for weeks.

I have also noticed, I take the defensive when a match starts and we need to grapple.  I am not good at take down (getting someone from standing position to laying down).  I am also not good at being on the offensive.  I wait for my opponent to come to me before I respond.
Learning how to flip people has been so fun! It is amazing how the body works, and how certain positions can truly render people harmless.  Men that are twice my size I can learn how to submit.

This is certainly a GREAT martial art that teaches women self-defense. I highly recommend it!


2 comments:

  1. This is a great GH blog - I love your determination and honesty! It seems like you are making great progress in learning the art of JJ. It is interesting to learn that JJ has proven to be a bit harder and/or challenging than the other athletic feats you have previously engaged in as you have done some incredible stuff. Perhaps you and Ian can put on a demonstration at our last class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,

    I can really see you doing this activity (martial arts) as you enjoy physical activity. You are an athletic person.

    When you learn to be more on the offensive than defensive, I am sure you will be able to master being prepared for any situation. Being able to do both will give you balance and this will also be useful for every day life. You will eventually react without thinking and then it should all become easier for you. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...