Sunday, June 10, 2018

Design a Better Building Meeting



Purpose:  The purpose of this assignment was to reflect upon meetings that are currently conducted in our buildings, and find a way to make them better. The purpose was to create and design a building meeting that was not as torturous as current meetings, and that people found to be more meaningful and not so meaningless.


Challenge:  Everyone can complain about the things they dislike, and want to be changed, but it is often more difficult to bring solutions to the table. I messaged about fifteen of my colleagues asking them this exact question. How can we make our building meetings better. I knew my answer, but I was curious of others, and wanted to get a dynamic perspective of how most perceive our building meetings.  Most people responded with their complaints, but only few were able to have some sort of insight on how to make it better.


How it was use in the classroom:  This has not been used in the classroom because this assignment was given over the summer. Making it impossible to implement. HOWEVER, next year I will be entering my Masters in Educational Leadership program, and part of my responsibilities will be leading PD.  Talk about intimidating! Eeek!


Reflection & growth:  I really liked this activity because it forced me to think about how I would attempt to solve issues that teachers have with building meetings. I feel that most of our meetings we are talked and spoke to, and not necessarily invited to be part of the meeting. Just as we are expected to teach children, I feel it is the responsibility of the person leading PD to make it more interactive, otherwise, most of us are checked out and not listening. Which in turn, makes the building meeting a monumental waste of time. We need to find more ways to be productive with our time, so we as a school community can become stronger and more effective and efficient.

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job of setting the tone and purpose for the meeting. With such a clear agenda it is more likely to stay on track and focused. The harder part is working towards a solution and not just complaining. As a personal goal, I try to help with solutions more than I want to complain. I do my fair share of complaining, but keep to between a few trusted coworkers who will work to find solutions with me.

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...