Tuesday, April 10, 2018

EEND 679: Reflection


What I really enjoyed about this particular course was exploring different platforms for assessing students and practicing Genius Hour with my students.  I tend to stick to things that are familiar, and Google Suite is a program that I am extremely comfortable with. If it weren’t for this course, I do not think that I would have explored outside “my comfort zone” and discovered other tools I could utilize in my classroom. What I liked MOST about GoFormative was that students are able to see the correct answers instantly after submission.  I feel that quick feedback is essential for growth and students truly understanding where they made an error. I also think that when students are able to see an example of correct work versus their incorrect work, it activates their critical thinking skills and they can assess themselves and analyze how they will answer correctly the next time. Additionally, I really enjoyed trying out Genius Hour with my students. I feel that it came at a perfect time for me to launch and test out with my students because it was during PARCC testing.  There was definitely a rocky start, but once students found something they were really interested, all I really had to do is keep them organize and guide them through the process of their research. I am really looking forward to seeing what students have learned, and how they plan on presenting their Genius Hour Projects to their classmates!

I plan on continuing this Technology Specialist Course with St. Francis, as I have discovered many new tools to utilize with my students and ways to really bring the classroom to life, whether it be through Genius Hour, new assessments, and/or a Flipped Classroom approach.  The process and journey thus far has been transformative in my classroom. Additionally, I have deeply respected and appreciated my adjuncts. It is refreshing to learn from other teachers who also come to our cohort sharing their own experiences, trials and tribulations, and their successes.  We are consistently learning from one another and authentically learning from our adjuncts. It has been worth my time and money invested into the program.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you are always willing to try something new! Genius Hour is new, but using Google apps with it makes it a bit less stressful because the tools to implement Genius Hour are not new. It is great when you can mix something totally in your comfort zone with something that might not be in your comfort zone yet! I bet your students had the same feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting that you have implemented Genius Hour with your students! I would love to try it with mine, but it's hard with 600+ students... I think next year I am going to choose a specific grade level to try it with.
    I am also finding these tech classes extremely beneficial, especially with our cohort. I feel like everyone has something to bring to the table and it has been a very productive and enjoyable journey thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it's hard to get out of your comfort zone! We can get so used to doing things the same way over and over because that's our routine or sometimes it is just easier. But I love that you tried GoFormative. Reading your reflection has encouraged me to take another look at it and try it with my students. I also have loved this cohort and look forward to the next class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you had an opportunity to try Genius Hour with your class, and that you went beyond Google to give GoFormative a try. I agree that students benefit from the immediate feedback that tech-based assessments can give. They love knowing their scores right away and are eager to ask if they can go back and fix their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with venturing out of our comfort zone. I began this cohort with the hopes of learning how to use the technology that the students are. Now we have all learned something new to improve the lessons we are teaching our students. I truly enjoy working with you and learning from you at school and in this cohort. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...