Wednesday, May 17, 2017

EEND 675 Introduction I

Hi!
My name is Sheila Daly, I teach 5th Grade ESL at Roosevelt Elementary.  I taught three years in South Korea for the South Korean Government. I volunteered as a teacher in India for about three weeks, and I have traveled about twenty countries in my lifetime (I intend my list to keep growing). South Korea was an incredible experience and if I did not have family in Illinois, I would have returned to SK a long time ago. I am currently finishing my fifth year in Cicero, IL, and have overall been very pleased with my experience working in this very unique subculture.
My current “comfort level” with technology would be “lukewarm”. I am comfortable enough with turning a computer on and off and basic programs. Boy, I sure have quite the road to travel, don't I?  I am not sure if I have a favorite tech tool (yet), but if I were to choose one, it would be Go Guardian (creeps the kids out and makes them less sneaky) and I appreciate the fundamentals, organization, and flexibility of Google Classroom.
In regards to EdTech successes and failures, my exposure is rudimentary and I don’t feel I have had an opportunity to truly “succeed” or truly “fail”.  Taking these courses is definitely something outside the “comfort zone”. So here comes the anxiety, insecurity, confusion, and all the fun of being a student in an unfamiliar territory! Woohoo!
I suppose it is a humble reminder how our students sometimes must feel when presented with new information 💙💚💛

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila.  Wow! You've traveled to 20 countries?  That sounds like some amazing experiences. You must inspire your students to become global citizens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best education is travel! And I tell my students all the time how beautiful the experience of travel is <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Shelia, amazing that you've been to so many places in the world, Awesome. I have thought about going abroad and teaching. I've always had an interest in teaching in Japan or China. I also find myself helping out my fellow teachers with any of their technology issues, seems like I'm the go to guy in our building. I'm there to help if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i highly recommend teaching overseas. You will probably make more money in China than Japan though because Japan is extremely expensive. If you don't have anything holding you here, you totally should get out of dodge. You will not regret it! Also I will most definitely be bugging you for tech help... I am pretty clueless lol

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheila,
    Sounds like you're an adventurous person! I can't even leave out of town without getting home sick! Your travels sound interesting. I would love to get a cup of coffee with you and listen to stories of South Korea! Like you, one of my favorite tech tools is Go Guardian! Once my students realized I was watching them, they too became less sneaky. They also loved "chatting" with me and by chatting I mean, they would ask for a bathroom break or report their article score from Achieve.

    Looking forward to reading more blogs from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first attempt at a technology class. I am way out of my comfort zone and have to keep reminding myself that this will all be worth it in the end! My daughter is thinking of trying out travel nursing. The company places you in hospitals with high needs and pays for housing. While this would still be in the United States, I told her to get out an explore while she is still young. I admire your confidence to live out of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila,
    It was very nice to share the table during our first class of the Collaborative Web Tools in Education on Wednesday. Reading your introduction, I, like Alicia, am curios about how the education system works in South Korea. I have a very high opinion about their education and their technology levels. I would like to know what makes them so successful and what we can implement here to improve our system. Hope we have time to talk about and grow together in our technology in education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, you have some fantastic global experience teaching - what a fascinating opportunity. I would love to chat about some of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...