Thursday, March 8, 2018

EEND 679 Introduction Blog

Hi!
My name is Sheila Daly, I teach 5th Grade ESL at Roosevelt Elementary.  I taught three years in South Korea for the South Korean Government. I volunteered as a teacher in India for about three weeks, and I have traveled about twenty countries in my lifetime (I intend my list to keep growing). South Korea was an incredible experience and if I did not have family in Illinois, I would have returned to SK a long time ago. I am currently finishing my fifth year in Cicero, IL, and have overall been very pleased with my experience working in this very unique subculture.
My current “comfort level” with technology would be “eeehh" because I am not completely blind but I still do not feel like any form of Master of Tech. I am comfortable enough with turning a computer on and off and basic programs. I utilize GAFE daily, and my students are often collaboratively working in their Google Classroom. There are other websites I have experimented with throughout the past few months that I have enjoyed using with my students. Some of those websites are ScreencastOmatic.com and Linoit.com and FlipGrid, in addition to all the wonders Google Suite offers!
In regards to EdTech successes and failures, my exposure has expanded through the past courses and taking these courses are still outside my “comfort zone”, but a little less scary now that we are half way through. I do feel that one of my biggest "failures" was trying to launch a PBL Unit with my students. I still do not have enough knowledge base, nor have I seen a solid example, that makes me comfortable trying it out with my students. I know they have incredible benefits, but I definitely need more guidance in regards to PBLs. It is always a humble reminder when we struggle with something new because it serves as a strong reminder to how our students must feel sometimes when presented with something new and different to them 💙💚💛

1 comment:

  1. Shelia, I am glad you have joined the learning community of 679! I am looking forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete

EEND 713 Course Reflection - Module 8

The journey to obtaining our Technology Specialist Endorsement began March of 2017.  As a cohort we have learned new and exciting platforms ...